News: Frankly Speaking
Franklin Electric will focus on helping contractors promote, hone and expand their business through a variety of attractions in booth 301 during and technical presentations ahead of the 2017 South Atlantic Jubilee in the Myrtle Beach Convention Center June 10-12.
Request Your In-booth Key Dealer Meeting
One of the main booth attractions will be one-on-one Key Dealer meetings to show how contractors can better promote their business through Franklin Electric’s enhanced Key Dealer Program, which includes a suite of services designed to help contractors gain market differentiation. These services range from product protection, professional development, and marketability, to unlocking exclusive access for savings and aid. Exclusive in-booth meetings to discuss these new services are being scheduled with Key Dealers leading up to the show. Email email@example.com or call 260-827-5107 to schedule your appointment today.
While in the booth, attendees will see several innovations firsthand, including:
- The new 9-inch STS Series Submersible Turbine Pump – It further expands the breadth of the proven STS Series product family, which also includes 5-inch, 6-inch, and 8-inch models. The 9-inch STS Series Submersible Turbine Pump features a premium glass-lined bowl for maximum efficiency and abrasion resistance, along with the application flexibility provided by the dual discharge option for either 6-inch or 8-inch drop pipe.
- The new Ultra Efficient Submersible 6-Inch Electric Motor family – It provides significant electrical cost savings via an efficiency improvement of 10-12 percent when compared to standard induction motors. Providing a constant horsepower production at high efficiencies, this family covers the 9 traditional pump horsepower ratings from 5 to 50 horsepower in just 3 distinct motor models. Each motor works at full pumping and electrical efficiency with multiple pumps, maximizing the product’s onsite flexibility and use among contractors. It’s an ideal fit for areas facing DOE efficiency regulations or those expecting tightened standards in the future, as well as long or consistent run time applications, large-scale cattle or swine operations, municipal well or high-volume transfer applications, and mining or dewatering applications.
- The Little Giant® Aeration System from Franklin Electric – It allows contractors to provide a solution for water beautification and biological pond health challenges. This multi-functional, ½ horsepower Aeration System is capable of moving up to 500 gpm – great for bodies of water up to half an acre in size, making unit sizing simple. It comes standard as an all-in-one package with float, aerator, and a proven Franklin Electric motor. In addition, the Aeration System can be used for decorating bodies of water, water agitation, ice prevention, and mixing. It can also be quickly transformed into an attractive fountain display via an optional conversion kit that includes the pump head, nozzle stem, and multiple fountain nozzles.
- The new SSR Series Submersible Pumps – They combine the robust and efficient features of the SR Series proven in the market today with an innovative mechanical design that allows for fast delivery time from distributors to contractors. This 304 stainless steel strap design is fully serviceable and corrosion resistant, and its high quality die-cut stainless steel impellers and diffusers provide maximum performance in the most extreme applications. It is offered in flows of 100, 150, 250, and 325 gpm at a maximum of 1,400 feet of head.
Technical Presentation Schedule
Franklin Electric product experts will offer a number of thought-provoking and sales-focused presentations for CEU credit, including:
- Saturday, June 10:
- 1:00 p.m. – Recognizing Your Earning Potential with Aeration Systems
- 2:15 p.m. – 10 Things You Wish the Public Knew
- Sunday, June 11:
- 1:00 p.m. – Selecting Pump Control Solutions: Residential and Light Commercial Applications
- 2:15 p.m. – Solar Water Pumping: Strategic Partnerships in Untapped Markets
For more information about the 2017 South Atlantic Jubilee, click here.
Franklin Electric has appointed Donald P. Kenney as President, North America Water Systems. In this role, Kenney will be responsible for all aspects of the North America Water Systems business that supports the sale of Franklin Electric products to customers in Canada, the United States, Mexico, and Central America.
Kenney was hired as FE Petro employee number five in 1991. Over the years, he has assumed increasing levels of responsibility, becoming President of FE Petro in 2001, and then President of Franklin Fueling Systems in 2005. In 2013, Kenney was appointed a Vice President of Franklin Electric Co., Inc. and promoted to President, Energy Systems.
Franklin Electric is pleased to announce the addition of the 9-inch STS Series Submersible Turbine Pump to further expand the breadth of the proven STS Series product family, which also includes 5-inch, 6-inch, and 8-inch models.
The 9-inch STS will be offered in 600, 1050, and 1200 gpm flow ratings with the following key features:
- Premium materials of construction for longer life and higher pressures
- Spiral cutlass rubber intermediate bearings designed for harsh environments
- 416 stainless steel pump shaft ground and polished for maximum durability
- Investment cast stainless steel impellers for superior performance
- Custom bearing and shaft configurations available
- Abrasive resistant hydraulic design to keep debris away from critical operating areas
- Dual discharge allows for flexibility between 6-inch and 8-inch drop pipe
- Premium glass-lined bowls for increased efficiency and abrasion resistance
The STS Series product family is ideal for irrigation, agricultural, industrial, commercial, or municipal water pumping applications. It offers flows from 60 to 1600 gpm and a total dynamic head up to 2300 feet. Each pump features premium materials of construction, including ductile iron motor brackets, ductile iron discharges, cast 304 stainless steel impellers, robust spiral cutlass rubber intermediate bowl bearings, and copper bismuth bronze discharge and motor bracket bearings.
For more information on the 9-Inch STS Series and/or to quote it with FE Select, click here.
Solar power continues to grow exponentially as an alternative energy source, and the truth is, most places around the world have more than enough sunlight to run a solar water pumping system. With the growing popularity, solar panels are more cost effective than ever and there is an immediate value of installing these highly efficient systems. This new video shows how Franklin Electric can be your solar water pumping partner for a variety of applications, including: livestock watering, tank/cistern filling, wildlife refuge and game farms, rural water supply for villages and homesteads, irrigation systems, fountains, vineyards, renewable energy projects, effluent pumping, rain harvesting, and more. We provide a complete package of:
When choosing Franklin Electric, you receive the industry’s leading Field Service Engineers to help make the installation process simple. Check out the new video to see how Franklin Electric and solar water pumping may be a new opportunity for you.
Franklin Electric is pleased to announce the addition of helical rotor pumps to the Fhoton™ SolarPAK product family. This additional style of pump, generates substantial water pressure using a minimum number of solar panels, providing the Fhoton SolarPAK family a solution for applications with flexible volume requirements. Applications include supplying water to holding tanks for use in livestock watering, rural water supply supplementation, small irrigation systems, and remote cabins.
- Four-inch NEMA standard construction dimensions
- Flex-shaft that allows for minimal radial wear
- Proprietary software provides increased dry-run and low-flow protection without requiring additional external devices
- Legendary four-inch Franklin Electric motor
- Built-in wafer style check valve
- Pump upthrust washer serves as additional shaft protection from excessive wear
- Serviceability by pump and motor detaching when needed
- Greater flexibility in performance with a wider range of input voltages (up to 300 VDC)
- Unique Fhoton drive algorithm provides increased starting torque levels to maximize the available sun power
- NSF-approved silicon grease provided for added motor spline protection
For more information about the Fhoton HR SolarPAK, click here.
Now Available: New SubMonitor Connect Provides Motor Protection & Enhanced Troubleshooting Proficiency
Franklin Control Systems is pleased to announce the official launch of SubMonitor Connect. This electronic motor protector offers a 32-character backlit NEMA 4X wash-down rated screen mounted on the front of the panel that allows for safe viewing conditions even when the motor is running.
The new SubMonitor Connect platform provides enhanced capabilities of real date and time-stamped system monitoring to improve troubleshooting while protecting three-phase motor and pump systems. It protects against damage due to a variety of adverse conditions, such as low flow wells, clogging, bound pumps, and poor or unreliable power. New application-based basic setup enables contractors to get up and running quickly while ensuring their motor is still protected. Utilizing the innovative FE Connect mobile technology app, contractors can easily monitor systems status live, complete basic or advanced setup, save commonly used setups for later use, and view/send fault history through the convenience of Bluetooth connectivity.
- Electronic overload motor protection for systems ranging from 1 to 700 hp, or those that require up to 1000 amps
- Real-time and date-stamped fault logging
- 10-year battery backup
- Fault history of 150 occurrences
- Application-based setup
- Automation ready – advanced pump control
- Provides protection against arc flash
- Offers 1 percent power metering that eliminates the need for an additional meter while providing communication with building management systems to track energy costs and motor status
- Heavy-duty industrial-grade construction
- FE Connect mobile app
For more information on the SubMonitor Connect and/or to quote it with FE Select, click here.
Franklin Electric is excited to introduce fully assembled options of the Convertible VersaJet (CVJ) and Convertible VersaJet Pro (CVJ PRO). Although no single pump can meet all applications, the Convertible VersaJet and Convertible VersaJet Pro come close. Each model can be configured with a variety of pressure and flow choices in both shallow and deep set installations. In addition, four different suction flange options make this pump the contractor’s choice of those tough replacement jobs. Order numbers have remained the same.
Note: We will continue to offer our modular CVJ and CVJ PRO options in addition to the fully assembled units. For more information pertaining to ordering details for the modular options, please refer to pages 11 and 15 in the RLC Surface Catalog. To order the fully assembled pumps, please continue to use the order information found on pages eight and 12 of the RLC Surface Catalog.
Recently, we enhanced the Key Dealer Program to improve the overall contractor experience with Franklin Electric. Specifically, the new program:
- Helps Key Dealers distinguish themselves from their competition
- Provides Key Dealers with a simple way to market their business
- Empowers Key Dealers to grow their business the way they want to
To best explain these enhancements, click here to view our new quick-hitter, 2-minute video.
In addition, the new Key Dealer Website is a more user friendly, valuable tool for Key Dealers. Information is concise and simple to understand, and by signing in contractors will have access to a wealth of information exclusive to them as a Key Dealer. New program services can also be implemented through this same site, making it truly a one-stop-shop for Key Dealers! Click here to visit the new Key Dealer Website today.
As part of our commitment to innovation and continuous improvement, Franklin Electric is excited to announce the addition of surface pump functionality to the SubDrive Connect product family. This standard product upgrade provides basic and advanced setup methods to achieve constant pressure from compatible surface pumps, including the Franklin Electric VR Series, MH Series, BT4 Series, and DDS Series pumps.
- Support for 230 V three-phase surface pumps with overload current ratings from 2.0 A to 17.8 A
- Basic DIP switch settings allow for easy setup of overload current, system response, and a lower minimum frequency setting
- Advanced settings using the FE Connect mobile app allow for a customized system response and fine tuning of motor overload current, frequency range, and pump priming delay
Drive model, order numbers, and pricing are NOT changing as part of this running product upgrade. Drives with surface pump functionality may be identified by the V2.0.0 or later firmware version noted on the shipping carton label.
For more information about SubDrive Connect, click here.
Greg Burns is a very successful businessman, dabbling in everything from designing and building specialized equipment for turbine engines to sheet metal production manufacturing and laser cutting. But, one of the efforts that he takes the most pride in is his charitable efforts for an organization called Bridge Ministries. By late 2017, Burns will have used the Franklin Electric SubDrive SolarPAK water pumping system through this organization to produce all domestic water needs for 130 kids at the OneLife Africa educational facility in poverty-stricken Kenya. In addition, the system will pump water that will be given to poor families in the community, while the rest will be sold to nearby communities that can afford it, with all of the funds received going toward the operating expenses for the facility.
“Picking the SubDrive SolarPAK Was Easy”
The construction of the Kenyan OneLife Africa facility is located in an area without water and electricity. “We drilled a well 800 feet deep and 6 inches in diameter, and our operators said we needed a generator that would cost about $15,000 originally, but then cost about $75 per day in fuel,” remembers Burns. “I knew there had to be a more cost-effective way. So, I worked with my distributor and we designed the whole system around the Franklin hardware. The quote was excellent and it actually allowed us to double our panel capacity so we can generate electricity for other uses. Picking the Franklin Electric SubDrive SolarPAK was easy. Keeping it safe in a third world country is the hard part, so we built a container to protect it. I’m very impressed with the Franklin controller, especially how it pauses every 8 minutes for just a few seconds to analyze the power it has available. It then fires up again and makes fine adjustments to the rate of delivery. I’m impressed with the quality and how efficient the system is working. On cloudy days, I was worried about the production. We had some cloudy days with limited sunlight during simulation, and it was pretty impressive how it slowed down the rate to accommodate the sunlight. This keeps it from turning off and on all the time, minimizing wear and tear on the pump. Plus, this allows it to deliver water almost all the time.”
In Kenya, kids have 10 months between high school and college, which often creates financial and nutritional difficulty. This OneLife Africa facility provides education, a home, and food and water to these kids so they can bridge the gap to college. With 130 kids scheduled to be at the facility, Bridge Ministries is employing solar panels that pull 8200 watts – half of this wattage will run a 3hp, 10 gpm Franklin Electric pump and motor for domestic
water use while the rest allows for the charging of batteries and provides power for the school. All water is being pumped into a 10,000-gallon water tower overhead.
Being so far away, a system simulation depicting the Kenyan climate as closely as possible could help ease Burns’ anxiety. “Since we’ve never fired up the pump, we didn’t want to get there and not understand how everything works. So we simulated the pump running at 325 PSI as it will run there. We submersed the pump in a barrel of water and at the outlet of the pump we installed a pressure relief valve adjustable up to 325 PSI. That represents more than the 700 feet required in Kenya. We were able to raise the water temperature to 110 degrees during our simulation which mimics the water well temperature in Kenya. We had a flow meter put on the outlet of the pump. We changed the angle of the solar array so we could simulate different angles of sunlight and pumped into the evening. That gave us a good idea of what we would see in Kenya. The end result was a water pumping system that will meet 100% of our needs.”
Franklin’s Reputation Spoke For Itself
Being in a third world country 800 feet deep requires the ultimate security in what you’re putting in the ground. Burns knew he needed something he could trust. “Franklin is a known commodity. It’s a well-established name. I was concerned about going to a remote place on the planet, being 12,000 miles from my home and having technical issues. It’s critical that we have a great product given all of the logistics it takes for us to get to a place like this on the planet. A lot of money is tied up in getting there, so we needed a reputable company. Franklin Electric is that company.”